FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO

Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO 8 years 11 months ago #4503

• Templin
  • Apprentice
I'm originally from Birdsboro and now live in NC. I'm planning on a new layout featuring my "home" area with both Reading and PRR. I have been able to find PRR diesels and rolling stock quite easily, but have not had much luck with Reading. I want DCC and sound in my diesels. Where can I find them? I'm a budget modeler and cannot afford a fleet of diesels at $300-400. Reliability and availability are more important at this stage. I'm just at the planning stage and any help with the diesels or maps,pictures of bridges, stations etc. from the Birdboro area during this time frame would be most appreciated. Thanks for your help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO 8 years 11 months ago #4506

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Patience...... They are out there and will come and go. As per diesels, your really looking for RS-3, GP-7 and some Baldwin and early EMD switchers for your local / W&N stuff. On the mainline side 1962 can justify some GP-30's in the 5500 series paint, but mostly F units.

You just have to watch, with the current "limited production" runs used to better control pricing they come out sporadically and you just have to watch your ads for deals.

Same with freight cars.... they come and go unless your decaling your own, you just have to wait and watch,...but they're out there

Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO 8 years 11 months ago #4507

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
This is a nice shot markfj posted before here, showing the rdg and Pennsy freight houses, Browns mill, pennsy pass. station, a coal Drop At the edge of the steel Mill Area, and a great view of some of the interchange trackage.
Look on eBay for pics as well as any image Searches.

Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO 8 years 11 months ago #4508

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
A wreck at Rocklyn on the W&N is described in a recent issue of the RCT&HS Bee Line. F7 #275 was on the point of that train, along with an RS3, so it seems that F units, as well as road switchers, will work on the W&N.

Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO 8 years 11 months ago #4509

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
Athearn has had F-7, RS-3'S on the market. Atlas has had GP-7, and trainmasters, and Proto 2000 has had GP-7, FA-1,and GP-30 units. Stewart/Bowser has had FT, F-3, AND F-7 units, also baldwin switchers.all of these come either with DCC or DCC ready, Ebay is a good place to look. Butch Curll
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by t1nut.

Reading Diesels 1955- 1965 in HO 8 years 11 months ago #4514

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
If you want to run Reading and PRR, consider "relocating" a bit farther south and model the PRSL. Good newer quailty HO models are coming out all the time!

I may be a bit jaded on the subject of PRSL though!

Bill
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements