FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: reading autorack cars?

reading autorack cars? 8 years 5 months ago #4946

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
HELLO...
looking for info and pictures of any RDG autorack cars that existed. I remember seeing one black-white photo of a car being loaded? There is nothing in the freight car book.

I have one model, but it's pretty generic and happens to be lettered for RDG. Saw a couple of Accurail open rack cars at a local show and was thinking of getting them to turn into some RDG cars... if we had them.

Looking for anything 1970 or before.
THANKS!
Thanks,
Barry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

reading autorack cars? 8 years 5 months ago #4948

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
Letter dated 2-9-1961 says the RDG leased 20 bi-level flatcars from TTX. Built new by Pullman Standard. The cars were 87'-4" low deck flatcars. RDG Diamond applied- 1 per side was 42"X 28". Auto racks were built be Parish Pressed Steel at RDG Pa. They were assigned as follows from either Fairlane Ohio and Chester, PA. or Wixom, Mich. and Chester, PA.

200219-200224 were assigned "When Empty Return to C&O RR Wixom, Michigan".

200225-200238 "When Empty Return to NYC RR Fairlane, Ohio".

Cars were routed as follows.
Fairlane Ohio and Chester, PA routing NYC-Newberry Jct-RDG.
Wixom, Mich. and Chester, PA. routing C&O Buffalo-LV East Penn Jct-RDG.

John Caples

reading autorack cars? 8 years 5 months ago #4951

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Barry, I have a negative of one of these cars. It's not the best as far as quality goes, I'll get it scanned and post it for you this weekend.

reading autorack cars? 8 years 5 months ago #4952

• rdg-barry
Thanks John for the great info!
John also sent me some drawings of the cars (could not upload them here for some reason?), which do not match the one I have. May have to "de-letter" it and sell it off.

I have taken the drawing sent by John and pieced it together (he could only scan a section at a time).... thanks again JOhn.

Now... who knows what models match this as close as possible? The quest continues.....

rdgautorack.jpg
Thanks,
Barry

reading autorack cars? 8 years 5 months ago #4953

• rdg-barry
THANKS Ron!!
Thanks,
Barry

reading autorack cars? 8 years 4 months ago #4954

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
I have wanted to model one of these Autorack flatcars for years. The problem is that nobody makes a Pullman Standard low deck flatcar that has an inside sidesill that the frame members wrap upward on the front of the sidesill.

So how prototypical should it be? Do I go ahead and use the Accurail car? Both the autorack itself and the flatcar are wrong! But do I use it as a "stand in" until something else comes along. Someone years ago someone had a kit they were selling (AT the ST Louis swap meet)that was a 4 section autorack similar to the Dana Rack. Wish I would've bought one now!

John Caples
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements