FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading Caboose - class Nmc?

Reading Caboose - class Nmc? 8 years 4 months ago #5004

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
Hello... just acquired a batch of unbuilt Athearn and Roundhouse kits from an estate. Amoung them was a Roundhouse RDG caboose - class Nmc with only 2 windows per side. #92803

I was going to offer it for sale, but after looking at it again, I don't have one of these for my layout. I also do not have the RDG Caboose book... so I can't find any good info and need your help. The Boessler book did not show this class or window configuration.
I did find what looks like one of these on page 58 of the J.Plant book - Trackside Rdg Anthracite Country. But the photo is not complete on the caboose and I can't see a class marking.

according to the freight car guide posted here...
CABOOSES 92800 – 92809 NMg 8 wheel

So it looks like this model is not marked correctly... but the guide does not give any further info... so who knows how long these cabooses lasted?

Here's a photo of the kit....

thanks for any and all info.

caboose.jpg
Thanks,
Barry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Caboose - class Nmc? 8 years 4 months ago #5005

• HHS
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 40
Barry,
According to the John Hall Caboose book, there was never any NMc built. There was a design proposal, but none where built.

In later years, during modernization and rebuilding,many of the latter classes had windows filled in, leaving some with two or three windows per side. Most, if not all where in the yellow and green pain scheme.

Regards,

Hugh Sinn

Reading Caboose - class Nmc? 8 years 4 months ago #5007

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
Thanks Hugh for the info!!
Yes, the NE caboose design had 4 windows and some were filled in during the 60's and later.
However, this caboose only has 2 windows per side from the start and they are higher on the sides, closer to the roof line, than the NE style 4 window per side design.

I looked through MANY books that I have... not too many caboose shots, but all that I found (except that one I mentioned) showed the 4 window per side design, the typical NE style.

This is why this model is so intriguing to me... I have nothing like it on my layout and am wondering if I should.
OR... did these all disappear by 1970??
Thanks,
Barry

Reading Caboose - class Nmc? 8 years 4 months ago #5009

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Barry,
The old MDC caboose is a Pennsy design, being at work and not having access to my data, I cannot give the class. I believe some of these found their way to Amtrak also.

It is not a Reading design nor do I believe Reading had any. You can probably find a photo taken at just the right angle to make it appear similar, but pretty much the Reading boiled down to three caboose designs. The Bobber NMa/b. The Wide vision NEa/b. All the rest NMd to NMo(was there a p in there too? - getting old sucks)

Yes there were some anomalies, like converted boxcars or old wood combines filling in for special ops, but as far as live classified cabooses - NM The good old Northeast caboose says Reading through and through.

The NMc design was somewhat of an interim design - sort of making a bobber into a four wheel two truck car, but before it took off the USRA standard design made the Northeastern the obvious choice. John's Caboose book is a must have for the Reading "Carchelogist." If you see one for sale - don't pass it up.

Some non Reading cabooses got painted Reading in real life. Examples are a New Haven caboose that sat at the McDonalds in Womelsdorf for years and the trio of Pennsy cabins that sat on Shirey's property in Geigertown. D.J. Shirey a prominent figure in the early RCT&HS days Grandfather worked in the Reading Shops and when DJ acquired the tree cabooses some of his grandfathers buddies from the shop forces painted them in a Reading scheme. DJ was killed in a crane accident on the R&N, way before his time. Perhaps this is where MDC got the idea, but more than likely, it is the typical manufacturer method of getting the most out of there molds.

Reading Caboose - class Nmc? 8 years 4 months ago #5010

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
Looks similar to the Atlas C&O cupula caboose produced by the Magor Car Corp for the C&O and others.

If you like the look Barry then keep it for your layout.I'm sure nobody will hold it against you.

I liked the look of the RDG model Atlas offered,knowing its wrong prototypically.I somewhat RDGized it by painting the window frames silver to give it the modernized window look.

Reading Caboose - class Nmc? 8 years 4 months ago #5013

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Any takers.....LOL
DSCN5911.jpg
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements