FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model

Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model 8 years 3 months ago #5060

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Hello Group,

I wanted to share this post that Lee English of Bowser Trains made over on the Atlas Rescue forum. He is working on the designs for an updated RS-3 HO scale model and is seeking technical input for this project (e.g. copies of “real” Alco or railroad drawings). He plans to do many variations and you can bet good money all the Reading RS-3 variations will be offered. As many of you know, the current collection of RS-3 models on the market all have their shortcomings. For us Reading fans, Bowser’s model will likely be our best hope for getting a truly accurate RTR model. So, with that said, now is the time to check your document collection or ask around in your modeling or railfan circle of friends for drawings or any technical information on the RS-3 that will help Bowser get it right. I’m not affiliated with Bowser in anyway, but I do think it’s great that this manufacturer is seeking input at such an early stage in the product development process. You don’t see many other companies doing that these days!

Here is Lee’s post (dated 01-25-16):

“I see someone has started talking about my RS-3 project. What a nightmare. I have had to change my ideas a few times and now I think I have worked out the problems. At least in my mind. The tooling for the body shell and most of the plastic parts will be made here in PA. The mold shop is the same shop I have been using since 1991 (N-5c was the first). The RS-3 is not just a 3 phases. There are so many variations that I will have to make modular tooling. I just completed the M636 tooling with the same modular design that allows me to make many variations without making complete bodies over again. The M636 has 43 inserts in the mold. I expect the RS-3 will have many, many more then 43. Now for my plans. RS-3 Phase 3 first followed by Phase2, Chop noses, Hammerheads, rebuilds and many railroad specific changes that do not even have Phases.

This will be a long project with new bodies being created for several years. So far I have measured 4 RS-3's and have hundreds of photos. To get the curves right I had my shop make cardboard templates with the different curves cut out of the corners. The Delaware Lackawanna has RS-3 with the middle of the shell removed. I could fit the templates to the corners and see very well what the radius is. The top of the hood curve I climbed on the prime mover and shot photos of the cut edge. Imported the photo into CAD (enlarged it to prototype size) and traced the curves and made it HO. I think I am close. I am also using An Alco drawing for other dimensions. This drawing can be seen if you google it. I have completed a lot of drawings but am still several months from mold building.

I have to be sure to cover all the bases in early design. Have to make the chassis fit the chop noses for one. We already have the trucks from our C430 project. Sorry to ramble but it is a very difficult project. It is harder than the SD40-2 and that turned out to have 11 bodies, 8 cabs, 7 decks and 180 plastic parts then I started with our Cal Scale brass!! Please offer help now before I screw it up. Anyone have Alco or real railroad drawings? Lee English - Bowser Mfg. contact me by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks, Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model 8 years 3 months ago #5061

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Bill Witman, this has your name written all over it!
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model 8 years 3 months ago #5063

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
I really like the direction that Bowser has taken concerning Alco power and look forward to their RS3 project.The D&H chop noses and LV hammerhead will surely spike my interest.
Looking at Mr.English's plan on attacking this project...Since the RDG's were Phase 1's its going to be quite a long time before we see a RDG RS3 released from Bowser.

I do hope I'm wrong though.

Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model 8 years 2 months ago #5076

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
This is a great thing to see. The whole concept of the modular tooling is a neat idea an would love to see first hand. We as the reading community should step up to the plate and send as much info as possible, especially pics to propel things along. I say this as the gang at Yarmouth Model Works have been kicking around an AC&F boxcar, they will do Reading in the form of an XMa. I sent them all the build spec from Berwick, tons of original Reading paperwork, and even photos. Yes one still exists in excellent condition to this day here in Tamaqua. Pierre Oliver was thrilled to no end over this. Just think how neat a dynamic brake equipped Reading RS-3 will look pulling another great unique model!

Bill

Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model 8 years 2 months ago #5077

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Let's see a pic of that Tamaqua xma bill..

Bowser seeking input on new RS-3 model 8 years 2 months ago #5081

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Okay Reading RS-3 fans, here is the latest from Lee English. I emailed Lee offering my collection of data on Phase I units, and his response at 5:00PM today is as follows, "sorry but we do not plan to make Phase I. Atlas, Athearn Bachman all make a Phase I."

Sorry guys, you'll still need those detailing and kitbashing skills to get them right on the money.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements