FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Applying age old Reading decals

Applying age old Reading decals 7 years 11 months ago #5296

:dry: Good evening guys and gals of the Reading Company. I'm a newbie here to the group but an old guy when it comes to riding the Reading. I rode trains in the Philly area from the 1960's to early 1970's Those olive green commuter car beauties :silly: My serious question is: Does anyone with decalling experience have any advice with how I can apply 20 year old Bethlehem Car Works decals. They don't want to slide off in lukewarm water. I've tried 10 seconds, 30 seconds. No luck Are they just to old. Could the glue backer just not be reactive to water any longer? I would hate to make a mess of a good paint job after so much time was needed to build and paint the 6 coaches. Any suggestions would be appreciated. U Tube is like the weather channel. It changes from one minute to the next. Thanks guys.
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Applying age old Reading decals 7 years 11 months ago #5297

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Wow, that is a different one. I never really had the problem of the decal not coming off the paper, usually an old decal comes of the paper and floats off in six different directions.

The cure for that is an overspray or two of a clear coat to help hold them together. But I don't know what the deal is on the paper not wanting to separate.

Good luck on that one. Hope someone else has an answer.
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Jct. Towerman

Applying age old Reading decals 7 years 11 months ago #5299

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
just let them soak longer. I have a small piece of formica that I put the decals on and use an eyedropper to apply the water to them. I let them sit for about 1 minute. the extra time usually will not hurt the glue.
Butch Curll

Applying age old Reading decals 7 years 11 months ago #5301

• t1nut
I have built aproximately 50 Bethlehem Car Works kits, and have had no problem with the decals, BCW does have a newer updated decal set for the RDG/CNJ passenger cars.
Butch Curll

Applying age old Reading decals 7 years 11 months ago #5302

• t1nut
Wayne Jct.Towerman - go to page 5 of this forum topic, scroll down, and there is a topic "Reading MU cars,paint and other things" it deals with modeling the Reading MU cars.
Butch Curll
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 5, 1833
The Philadelphia and Reading (P&R) Railroad began operations.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements