FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Track Plans

Track Plans 7 years 8 months ago #5513

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Port Clinton circa 1875:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

Track Plans 7 years 8 months ago #5514

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
What is the foot print size in your finished scale?

Track Plans 7 years 8 months ago #5515

• MrBill
  • Conductor
In HO I guess a rough estimate would be about 25' square. This was a diorama I did with our son about 8 years ago.

Track Plans 7 years 1 month ago #5785

• MrBill
  • Conductor
A good part of the hobby for me is track planning. When I was 12, I went on my first visit to a "professional" basement layout in a suburb of Philadelphia Pa. Regretfully I didn't get any pics, but the memories are still vivid. It was a typical "spaghetti bowl" plan of the era. While trying to recall the basic idea of the plan, I drew this HO scale plan up the other day. I know The actual layout had a good bit of hidden trackage and was fairly complex. I try to avoid hidden track in general. So, this is a rough take on what I can remember. Basically a folded figure 8. I like how the yard came out as a self contained switching area, and the main is kept simple. Of course staging would be desirable, as well as some crossovers, but I didn't want to get into any reverse loops. Plus the number of turnouts is kept low. Anyway, the overall size is 9'x14', and I wish I had time to build it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

Track Plans 6 years 11 months ago #5928

• MrBill
  • Conductor
8th Street freight house at foot of Robeson street, Reading Pa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

Track Plans 6 years 11 months ago #5929

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Interesting Mr. Bill.. This structure along with Luden's has always been a part of my designs in a more modern setting. This drawing would have to be pre mid-60's scheme as that is about when Luden's pushed forth with the new addition, your plan showing a coal yard where the Luden's building now stands. I can't believe I had access to the roof of Luden's the summers of 72 and 73 and would watch the rail and trucking operations from the high vantage point in the morning and it never crossed my mind to take pictures,. duh.
Thanks,
Rob
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements