FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Overhead catenary system structures dimensions

Overhead catenary system structures dimensions 5 years 4 weeks ago #6409

Good day my friends. I am modelling the Reading in the Philly area primarily electrified territory between Reading Terminal and Wayne Jct. Would anyone have an idea where I might find dimensional data for the overhead catenary system poles? I have a good structure page from "Electric Trains to Reading Terminal" but no dimensional data. I know it exists as someone once posted on a traction site their dimensions. Thank you for any clues or advice. John C.
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Overhead catenary system structures dimensions 5 years 1 week ago #6429

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Found my notes of dimensions arrived at from photos. The known height of the car side was compared to the support structure it was passing under. The MU car height from the rail head over the top of the roof is 13'5". The support towers with the lattice cross member, such as on the elevated line into Reading Terminal, had between 24 to 25 feet of clearance from the bottom of the lattice beam to the top of the rail. The lattice beam is between 3-1/2 to 4 feet tall. The wire structure from the bottom of the beam to the trolley wire is not more than 4-1/2 feet. Column height varies greatly from around thirty feet to around fifty feet where power feeders and signal lines are carried by a second cross member and the tallest having a taller column on one side with high tension lines hung in a vertical order on the column above the second cross member. Again, these were arrived at by approximation of known dimensions in the photos. Trolley wire location varies below these dimensions to clear structures, such as the bridges around 16th Street junction in Philly. Mock ups using plastic H beams yields a good looking tower and catenary structure.

Overhead catenary system structures dimensions 4 years 10 months ago #6468

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
The book " Electric Trains to Reading Terminal" paper back large format, has diagrams of how the support beams look, the wireing over head, etc. Everything you need to know.
I estimate the I beam vertical supports to be 1/4 inch in HO scale or about 20 inches?
With the above dimensional data you should have it.
Remember flat part of vertical I beam faces trains. Each one is numbered with mileage from RDG Terminal and the number of the column within that mile.
Pennsy is opposite in terms of I beam.
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements