FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: Belmont yard pictures?

Belmont yard pictures? 10 years 5 months ago #2205

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of Belmont yard on the Reading. Also, did the B&O trains coming through Park jct terminate there, or continue up to West Falls yard?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Belmont yard pictures? 10 years 5 months ago #2210

Belmont Yard, per se, was more used as interchange to/from the PRR which operated a connecting track from there to Zoo tower, if we're talking about the location on the west side of the Columbia bridge, along I-76, below West Falls. B&O freights operated from Park Jct (originating in East Side) through to Jersey City, and later E-port on the CNJ. After CR, freights operated via the Belmont branch thru to Allentown, etc, and ore trains from the ex-PC side at Greenwich operated thru Belmont to Bethlehem. It was nasty piece of RR with better than 1 percent grade either side of where it ducked under the east side of all the converging lines at Zoo.

Belmont yard pictures? 10 years 5 months ago #2215

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I agree with Mitch, all B&O interchanging was done at East Side. the interchange track with the PRR/PC was used very little right before Conrail. that is why it was in rough shape when Conrail took over, until they could work on upgrading it. the yard itself shut down sometime in the late 1960's, when Reading was consolidating their facilities.
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by t1nut.

Belmont yard pictures? 10 years 5 months ago #2217

Thanks for helping back up my theory! I checked my old hardcover Rdg Power Pictorial and nothing-one shot of a still-4 track Columbia Bridge in the early 60's. The entire City Br, from Callowhill St thru Park Jct and West Falls shows as yard limits in the 1969 ETT (as 2 tracks). T1nut may remember before I76 was widened a while back you could see a few glimpses down to what I believe was about a 4-track wide "yard" ending about halfway between the bridge and West Falls...I'd like to see something of the old West Falls yard between city Ave and the Roosevelt Blvd exits.. still active a good ways into Conrail, IIRC! While slightly "OT" Rdg-wise, I attached a shot of an ore train on the "Belmont" from Zoo Tower around 1980, heading down the tunnel, northbound. The early CR WA6/AW5 from Pot Yard to Allentown which became POAL/ALPO was a "regular" on the Belmont thru Zoo on 3rd trick.
Attachments:

Belmont yard pictures? 10 years 5 months ago #2219

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I believe it was 2 main tracks and 2 "passing" tracks. I remember in Conrail days, strings of cars parked along I-76 just west of the yard area. there are community gardens where most of the yard was.hard to railfan there now, RR cops kick you out.
Butch Curll

Belmont yard pictures? 10 years 5 months ago #2224

that sounds familiar.. prob'ly not much different back to late 60's..glad to have another Rdg modeler that is more Philly than "upstate"! We're outnumbered, I'm afraid...Woodlane Yard, up by the I76 Gladwyne exit was another treasure trove of stored cars, plus a nice photo location by the crossing!
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

January 1, 1955
The Reading begins Trailer-on-Flatcar (TOFC) service between Philadelphia and Chicago in cooperation with the WM, P&WV, and NKP (the "Alphabet Route").

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements