FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: Yards at Wilmington, DE

Yards at Wilmington, DE 9 years 9 months ago #3250

• dave1905
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
At Wilmington, DE some of the photos I have found show a yard on the east/south side of the PRR viaduct south of 5th Ave. Was that yard owned by the PRR, B&O or RDG? I know the RDG had facilites on the west/north side of the viaduct, who was on the other side?

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Yards at Wilmington, DE 9 years 9 months ago #3251

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Dave - Without checking a map,
I'm quite certain that this is the Reading's facility.

Yards at Wilmington, DE 9 years 9 months ago #3255

• dave1905
  • Brakeman
Thanks for the info, I wondered where they switched. Most of the pictures only showed the trackage to the north/west of the viaduct.

Do you have an idea where the RDG interchange with the PRR at Wilmington was, was it closer to down town or did each railroad run cuts to the other's yards?

I am rebuilding a 1900-1905 era layout based on the W&N and figure if I can get something closer to the prototype, I might as well.

Google books has the last decade or so of W&N RR annual reports (before it was leased by the P&R. Has lots of interesting info about when bridges were built (The bridge over the Schulykill was a wooden covered bridge that was later covered with corrugated metal and then replaced with a iron truss and plate girder approaches.)
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by dave1905.

Yards at Wilmington, DE 9 years 9 months ago #3256

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Interesting.... I think the W&N crossed the river 3 times just south of Reading within about 3 miles (probably less - that is a W.A.G.)

A very early Bee Line Article was written by John Hall on the Wilmington end of the W&N. This map is from that - perhaps it could help.

WilmingtonviaBeeLineSum842.jpg

Yards at Wilmington, DE 9 years 9 months ago #3262

• dave1905
  • Brakeman
Thanks for the map. The curved spurs below the roundhouse were the leads to the original shops of the W&N.

Its interesting that the map doesn't show a yard below 6th St on the river side of the PRR viaduct like I thought there was. According to the map the RDG didn't even go down there, only the PRR. The original RDG alignment went due south from Elsmere and crossed the PRR in the lower right hand corner of the map as it shows.
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements