FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks

Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks 4 years 10 months ago #6453

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Rob, Okay, this is what I was looking for. I have no recollection of this tank. A fair assumption that this was added after the roundhouse was demolished and tracks removed, which allowed space for it? My modeling era is the early 50s. Many thanks for this photo and the info. Evan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks 4 years 10 months ago #6454

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
OK, guys, good news/bad news. While that tank is there in 1984, in January, 1977, it was not there and definitely not in the 1950's. It would be about where the cars are parked.
img278.jpg
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by JoannaBill. Reason: duplication
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob, HoboPiker

Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks 4 years 10 months ago #6455

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Wow, Interesting.... I would also be interested to see what is in the photo just to the right of this one. Makes me wonder what was in the tank that would cause CR to build it after 1977 since there was very little diesel fueling going on there, although there was still an oil situation going on so stockpiling Fuel may have been somewhat of a reason, and why it looks older than 6 years. (looks to me anyway)

Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks 4 years 10 months ago #6456

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
A few more photos for your study.
Attachments:

Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks 4 years 10 months ago #6457

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Here is another one - I am guessing prior to the 70's considering the roundhouse is still there, but there is that tank complete with a wall around it. I stumbled upon this in the Bernhart book on Reading yard (page 324 I think)

Also it shows a photo of and reminded me of the tank car unloading / "refueling" racks just north of the yard behind the 5th Street Post Office.
Not sure how that setup worked or what they mean by refueling.
IMG_2961.jpg

Reading Yard diesel fuel tanks 4 years 10 months ago #6458

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
The Reading relief train was repainted into the new green and yellow scheme in 66-67. Look what is sitting on the far right, two cars of that train. This photo is a treasure in may more respects. Rob, a thousand thanks, my roundhouse/engine terminal is back on the front burner. I will have to find this Reading Yard book. Evan

PS Attending OS Omaha (An ops till you drop event.) in Omaha this week. Will be operating on the 1900-1905 era Wilmington & Northern Br. Yes, Reading fans, in the heart of Uncle Pete land runs the P&R Rwy.!
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 1, 1948
The "Wall Street" begins service between Philadelphia and Jersey City, hauled by new G-3 Pacific locomotives and featuring new two-toned green cars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements