FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints?

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1897

The Norristown line and its high-tension lines would be interesting to model, but I'd need to study the photos much more before I'd attempt that!

As for a field trip, I actually went to both Silverliner Farewell trips,and took photos at both events. Unfortunately, My better photos of the Reading's catenary were at the first one in 2010, And I cannot find where I saved them! I'll have to find an excuse to ride SEPTA. I live in New Jersey, so I usually take the PATCO into Philadelphia.

In the meantime, I drew up some plans based on Pennsylvania railroad Dimensions. There is an area where the PRR and the Reading parallel closely on the norristown line, and the catenary seem to be built to the same height and distances.

The following dimensions I borrowed from the PRR-

Rail-to-wire height- 22'

Rail to Steady-wire- 24'

Rail to cross-beam- 32'6"

outer track center to inside of catenary pole- 12' 6"

The following dimensions are extrapolated from measuring photos and determining their proportions, so don't quote it as true:

Average pole height- 55' 6"

transmission arm height from crossbeam- 22'

Transmission arm length- 5'

Corner brace- assumptions- creates a 30-60-90 degree triangle

Corner brace mounts- 8' below cross brace

- ~ 4' 7" to 5' from vertical pole

I have already begun building an mock-up (which is probably good enough to be used on my layout).

Have a look!

I used "H5" 5/16" H columns for the poles, "H4" 1/4" H column for the cross beam, and I can't remember which stock the "T" brass came from, but its used in the corner sag braces. I have 0.025" Phosphor Bronze wire for the wires. I also have a jig that cuts 0.020 brass wire into grab irons that fit the H5 columns, And i will add those in as well!

The extra length on the bottom lets me mount the poles beneath the layout, and adjust wire height.

Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by green_elite_cab.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1903

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
You'r proportions look good to me, fwiw... Don't forget to take a few pictures of your module when you're done!

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1906

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Model Memories makes PRR and NH catenary poles and towers. You might consider getting one of their PRR towers as a guide for the major dimension then work from photos to create a Reading style. Also, try Keystone Crossings or the Keystone Modeler for catenary information as the major dimensions will be close across the electrified rr's.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1907

Thats essentially what I did (though I have not purchased the Model Memories stuff.).

I used a diagram i had on hand of the New York & Long Branch, though i could have used any of several PRR diagrams I have, all of which are fairly consistent with each other.

I've actually built PRR style catenary before, and I have a few much larger NEC modules that are part of a traveling layout.

I really wanted to try something different (I don't think i've seen anyone attempt to seriously model the Reading), and i was hoping I could avoid these sorts of guesses and assumptions.

Unfortunately, it seems the Reading is not so thoroughly researched as the PRR.

In any event, you are right for mentioning the Keystone Modeler and Keystone crossings.

TKM issues 50, 52, and 56 have the Andy Rubbo series on PRR catenary. Even if you don't do PRR, its probably worth reading since it addresses the practical problems as well.

Somewhere on the Keystone Crossing, is Bill Kachel's catenary PDF. Its not as detail accurate as Andy Rubbo's but it is simplified and easy to produce. I would consider both recommended reading.

The model memories stuff is nice, but personally i think it is not the best. Frequently, catenary needs to be built to a specific situation, and i wonder how adaptable the model memories catenary is.

That said, if you're gonna do something crazy like New Haven catenary, then I suppose you're out of luck, and will have to use what they give you. I've been thinking about doing a New Haven module, maybe even with the triangular wire, but for now I'll stick to my own Philadelphia/New Jersey neighborhood.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1908

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
No one on here from the modular group....? Really.

What research went into the Wayne Junction Module. It is great looking, not sure what kind of precision is followed with the catr structures.

Anyone have a photo of that section?

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1916

Well, Here is what I have. You'll have to forgive the SEPTA until I can get my green cars together.

I think the distance between the steady span and the cross beam is to far, and that the structure should be lower. This can be done (by unsoldering the wires and cutting back the corner braces), but i'm going to wait until I get some real dimensions, just in case.

I have not yet made the wire, since I am unsure if the poles will stay this way. At this stage, creating the catenary wire and hanging it is VERY easy, so if I don't decide to rebuild these, I can wire this up in an afternoon.

The excess material is so that I have some extra to solder the wires to. Once I have the contact and auxiliary wire about 2' from the cross span and centered, i'll solder both to the steady rods to the auxiliary and snip off the excess

I used one long wire to make the hanger and half the steady rod, and used a second piece of wire for the other half of the steady rod assemblies. The insulators are by Tichy

Reading Company Silverliner IV

Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The following user(s) said Thank You: otiscnj
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements