FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints?

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1875

Hi,

I have a small 4' module that I'd like to make into a Reading Company module, Electrified.

I have enough wire and brass structural shapes that I think I can pull it off relatively quickly, and I have built PRR prototype catenary before.

Since the Reading's Philadelphia electrification is rarely modeled, I figured that small module is a good start (I also have 6 Green cars and 2 Silverliner IVs to place under that wire).

Does anyone have access to the scale drawings for the average Reading Catenary structure? I imagine its not that different from the PRR, but I'd rather be spot on than operate on assumptions!
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1877

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
There are several types of catenary supports that were originally used by the reading. Many structures on the 9th St. Viaduct, had trusses for the top member. Other spots, they were simply I or H beams, welded together. The Doylestown Branch, might have used poles similar to the Milwaukee Road.

Check out the various Morning Sun Reading books, particularly Reading In Color, Volumes, I & II. They both have plenty of photos. There was also a soft covered book, with a yellow cover, published in the 1980's entitled something like 'Reading Electrification,' with a color shot of a green MU on the cover. It featured schematics of the power distribution system, and a number of photos along the electrified lines. I can't put my hands on my copy right now, otherwise I'd provide more details.

Hope this helps some.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1881

I have the latter book, "Electric Trains to Reading Terminal". It has a nice diagram, but not much in the way of dimensions and measurements. They might be burried in the text some place, but i'll have to keep digging.

I'd just like to know the average pole heights, the thicknesses of the different components, the distances between the outer most track centers and the poles, height between the cross braces and the trolley wire, as well as height from the transmission lines to the cross brace.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1885

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Does anyone have immediate access to the yellow Anthracite T&HS book of Reading MOW standards. That MIGHT have what G.E.C. is looking for. Mine is still packed away, but I can get to it on Thursday if need be.
Another source to a degree might be the Philadelphia Division Employee Timetable. I recall seeing diagrams in there, but I don't think it had dimensions, however one could closely estimate the dimensions by scaling out the diagram. Though it is possibly the same drawing as in "Electric Trains to Rdg Term." book

Otherwise a query to RCT&HS might lure someone with nothing to do into doing the research in the MP&RE drawing collection. Or join and spend some library time... not sure how that works....

Rob

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1886

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
I have the ARHS plan book in front of me. Sorry, nothing on catenary.

Tom
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1887

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
well we tried :unsure:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1964
The Reading's new green and gold colors are used on 100 new boxcars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements