FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints?

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1888

No big deal, I'm sure its out there. In the mean time, I'm sure I can make a reasonable approximation. I was hoping to have a small diorama done for the Mass transit & Trolley Convention on October 5.

www.nycmodeltransit.org/2013details.htm

I have a very small module built already, and I don't plan to put much on it other than basic scenery and the catenary of course. I should have enough supplies.

If my module were a little wider, I might have tried for a 4 track section of the reading, and maybe be able to incorporate it into the larger set of NEC modules that others and myself will be assembling at that show.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1890

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
Also, the Norristown Line is partially under high tension wires for a portion of the right of way, on the way to Manyunk. Can't remember if the catenary structures are part of the high tension wire towers or not. One of the Carleton books I think has a photo.

I would think by scaling the aforementioned drawings you'd get a number pretty close to being accurate.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1891

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
someone in the RCT&HS modular group should have some info. someone in their group has built modules of Wayne Jct. complete with catanery poles, and wire.
Butch Curll

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1892

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Maybe a field trip is called for. Some of the catenary is still in place.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1894

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Have you seen the book "Electric Trains to Reading Terminal" by Wes Coates? A lot of photos, and also a diagram (without dimensions, unfortunately) of the catenary structure.

To your question about the high-tension wires, there's at least one photo in the book that appears to show the wires passing under the high-tension towers, so there at least must have been coordination between the Reading and PECO on that (which makes sense, given that PECO would have been the supplier of all that juice...).

Good luck - the electric operations are a seldom-modeled aspect of the Reading, looking forward to seeing your models!

Tom
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 7 months ago #1895

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
what do you mean some of the catenary is still in place. ALL of it is still used every day, by Septa. I live and work along the Norristown line.
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by t1nut.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements