FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints?

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 5 months ago #2159

Gary L wrote:
Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall that the pantographs were balanced for catenary wire at 22 feet but I can't find any documentation to support that. The pantograph in locked down position was 15'-6" above the rail so another 6'-6" to the wire seems about right.

I assumed the 22' height, but its good to know it is the same as the PRR standard height, as i might be able to incorporate 4 track portions of the Reading into our 4 track NEC modular set up (we're not to picky whose electrification is where).
Gary L wrote:
The biggest difference between Reading and Pennsy catenary was that Reading did not have "Steady Spans" and "Steady Rods" at every column. This could allow the wire to move laterally as a pantograph excerted pressure upwards as it passed. This is why all of the Reading cars were turned so that the pantograph end was towards Reading Teminal.

I have noticed this in the photos, and made sure that the section of Reading I picked appeared to have steady spans on each pole (necessary for a module like this one).

I'm thinking this might complicate a model layout if done 100% prototypical. I visited Andy Rubbo's NEC layout, and he had his pantographs modified to put a feather touch on the wire, so this might be necessary for an accurate reading model.

I imagine this is why I have been told that not all PRR equipment was Reading compatible, as it exerted greater forces on the catenary. On the other hand, I've seen the Metroliners and AEM7s under Reading Wires, so maybe they can adjust the pressure.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 5 months ago #2180

• john7968
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 5
Here is the drafting image of wire and pole structure from the RDG ETT
Attachments:

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 5 months ago #2191

• jdamelio
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 3
It's not quite the same as the diagram on p 19 of ETtRT, but very close. My diagram has a signal transformer which I couldn't make out in the ETT.
Jeff D'Amelio
RCT&HS 1628
Modeling Doylestown to the Terminal, if only in my head!

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 10 years 1 week ago #2986

Well, this has been a learning experience.

So far, the catenary structures survived a direct hit from an unexpect car jack.

So lesson learned- metal catenary wins!

However, its not all good lessons.

The real problem is the wire I used. I'm thinking that the "coiled" phosphur bronze is just too kinky for catenary. It seemed okay at first, but lately its gotten pretty haywire.

I wish there was a way to keep it all under tension, and I'm probably going to have to redo the wire. Tichy sells straight lengths of phosphur bronze that should be less problematic.
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 7 years 8 months ago #5505

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
Did you ever finish your module? I helped in the taking apart of the modular layout in Hazleton last year, when the RCH&HS was at a mall there in May. Was hoping to get involved more with the group this year, however its about a 2-2.5 hour drive each way for me, from here in northern NJ to Hamburg.

Reading Electrification dimensions/blueprints? 7 years 8 months ago #5507

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
In open territory, the maximum trolley wire height was 22 feet above the rail.

Is the ARHS's MoW Plan book the same as the MoW book offered by the RCT&HS many moons ago? Don't recall if the RCT&HS's book had electrification drawings; I will check tomorrow.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements