FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers

HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers 9 years 11 months ago #3103

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
400661989RLD.jpg

My next kick....

So the HTz hopper is supposed to be a copy of the N&W H-11. Does any of our HO manufacturers model an N&W H-11?

Has anyone looked at this as a kitbash?
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Rob.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers 9 years 11 months ago #3104

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
I made one years back out of one of those Life Like / Bev Bel 100 ton HT's. The rib spacing seemed correct. I just took about a foot and a half off the top and replaced the top plates. Not sure if the slope sheet angles were correct though. RRDavey has it now. Maybe he could post a pic of it.

HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers 9 years 11 months ago #3105

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
That is exactly the conversion I am working on. Somewhere in life, I acquired several dozen Life Like hoppers real inexpensively. Some Reading HTg, Some Reading HTd or e, and some CSX/B&O. The plan is to chop the tops off, then slice the top off right below the rivet line and put them back together. The second part of the plan is to reframe them. These are old cars so they have "talgo" trucks with horn hook couplers attached to the trucks. I have a about a dozen McKean 100 ton hoppers. Nicely lettered with Reading speed from the RCT&HS project many moons ago. Of course they are welded cars, not riveted. It was what was available back in the eighties. So I will keep a couple intact for the display shelve (- history?) and the rest - I will pirate the frames. That drops the whole car down - looks better.... I think. The car on the left, chopped down, but the top has not been completed yet. On the right the untouched LL.

HTzL-LConversion1.jpg
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Rob.

HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers 9 years 11 months ago #3106

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Your frame mod does look good. That low slung "rake" is an important modeling feature, even though you usually have to carve out some of the carriage to get wheel clearance. Those LL hoppers are great late-era kitbash cores. I bought up a bunch of them as well, specifically to make HTz's, but then changed my era. As a novice project, I wound up just shaving down the stock bolster pad flush with the frame and sticking the talgo trucks back on, sans the horn hook box. Not real pro, but it tracked pretty good.
Looking forward to your first prototype completion.
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MrBill.

HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers 9 years 11 months ago #3108

they do stand out in a string of conventional hoppers! There was an article with plans in RMC a ways back....Eric Neubauer, I believe...

HTz 40001 - 40400 Hoppers 9 years 11 months ago #3115

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Granted it has been better than twenty years ago, but I wrote to Con-Cor and aquired several hopper car frames in order to convert the same number of Life-Like cars. The Con-Cor three bay hopper car frame fit just right and the car body now rode at the proper height. Maybe they can still provide such parts and nice service.
Fishnmack
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements