FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Obs/Business car

Obs/Business car 8 years 9 months ago #4607

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
Compared to my PRR Collection I am still greatly lacking in Reading books. I don't have much of an idea as to "what was" in many areas of rolling stock classes.

I bought this car eBay car this morning with thoughts if repainting it green for Reading. It was pretty cheap too. There might be some liberal uses of modelers license but am hoping it is reasonably close to something the Reading had. Most of my trains are going to be head end/coach but every now and them a more formal train had to happen.

Maybe you have some Obs photos you could send me....

Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Obs/Business car 8 years 9 months ago #4609

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
The kicker is the Reading Company's "Observation Cars" 10, 15 and 20 where not "revenue passenger cars" They were business / officer cars. So the idea of a formal train such as the King Coal, Schuylkill, Queen of the Valley or Wall Street having an open end deck "passenger observation car" wasn't for revenue passenger needs. Oddly if somehow they did end up with one for the extra passenger handling needs, my understanding was it was probably a Jersey Central Observation Car, especially in the case of the Queen or the Harrisburg Special.

However, if the Boss wanted to go somewhere the office car could be tacked onto any scheduled passenger train that met his need or run as a train of its own, possibly with some additional cars as needed. This thought is mostly based on hearsay as if I did see it in operation, I had no clue what I was looking at.

The Reading's Car 10 is at the Strasburg Railroad and Car 20 is floating around Southeast Pennsylvania somewhere, under the control of the RCT&HS, I believe under lock and key for protection until Hamburg is ready to handle it properly.

Rob
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Rob.

Obs/Business car 8 years 9 months ago #4610

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
the car that RCT&HS has is car #15. I never knew of a car #20. photos of #10 & 15 are in the Reading equipment book by Craig Bossler.
Butch Curll

Obs/Business car 8 years 9 months ago #4614

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Your correct Butch RCT&HS has 15.....my bad, Hey it was early in the morning and I was up late..... However, yes there was a car 20 too.

Obs/Business car 8 years 9 months ago #4615

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
There were actually four business cars to my knowledge.
1) 10 Strasburg
2) 15 RCT&HS Collection
3) 20 Which was P&R "Philadelphia" (Truss Rod)
4) 25 Which was P&R "Schuylkill" (Truss Rod)

The last two were wood construction and the print that I have shows the #25 wearing "Reading" on it, so what year it was removed from service I don't know. Also as Rob pointed out the possibility of a CNJ observation car making its presence, us HO scale modelers are lucky as the Bethlehem Car Works did this car in a brass side kit with "Blue Comet" decals. It could also be modeled for later years. I do have a photo copied blueprint of the car #10 in which I have no problem sharing if anyone is interested.

Bill

Obs/Business car 8 years 9 months ago #4628

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Here is some photographic proof backing up what Rob mentioned in an earlier post of CNJ business cars appearing on the Reading. Time and place are unknown, but CNJ 1178 (DeVico) in front of an I-9.
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements