FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: A DCC Question

A DCC Question 7 years 1 month ago #5777

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Although this isn't strictly a Reading question, I know that most of you have gone digital and would probably advise a fellow RDG guy. I'm contemplating converting to DCC and am wondering if I need to replace my old style Walthers' power routing turnouts. Each is thrown with Caboose ground throws with contacts, which connect stock rails to frogs. It would be easy to install bus wires under the layout and tap in feeders from the buses to the terminal strips I installed under the stock rails. I think I understand the advantages of "DCC friendly" turnouts (as well as their disadvantages), and I've even bought some for eventual replacement. I'm just not eager to tear up relatively trouble-free ballasted track work, as well as a couple of paved crossings. What do the experts think?

Thanks, gang! The picture's dark and the wiring''s ugly, but it works.

IMG_0037.jpg
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Robin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A DCC Question 7 years 1 month ago #5778

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
I am no expert, so I'll hold my thoughts, however it may turnout easier than you think. I have seen some pretty shaky (downright ratty) arrangements that still worked with DCC.

If you don't get a real firm response you could always drop a power lead form the power routing system and test one switch. The circuit breakers are usually really fast on the DCC system, so a short shouldn't drop out fast and not kill/fry anything.

Another question might be would the wiring for the DCC circumvent the need for power routing? I was once told by someone that was pretty good at the subject, even though it is DCC, insulate the turnouts just like you were running the old block systems.

BTW - your wiring looks better than some ADT burglar alarms I've seen - so you have that going for you.

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

A DCC Question 7 years 1 month ago #5779

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Your best bet is to visit www.wiringfordcc.com This site has a TON of useful info about wiring your layout for DCC. I'm no expert, but you should be able to use the power-routing turnouts without much difficulty.

Good luck!
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

A DCC Question 7 years 1 month ago #5781

• Robin
  • Conductor
Thanks, guys! The link is very helpful, Tom. It looks like powering the frogs is my key to the highway. The Caboose throws with contacts are kind of clunky, but they do the job with DC operation. It looks like they may serve for the life of the layout (which may be just a few years more).

A DCC Question 7 years 1 month ago #5829

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
Robin... guessing you have your basic answers from that website Tom gave you.

You didn't mention what type/brand of turnouts you have.
Atlas are naturally DCC friendly as their frog is already isolated.
Walthers/Shinnohra have an all rail frog and my solution is to cut the rails just past the frog to isolate it.
Peco turnouts may require the same modification, unless they are specificlly labeled DCC friendly.

I do not power my frogs and have no problems with running diesel engines. I hope this info helps too, you and others, in your decision for DCC. I fully believe that once you go to DCC, you will be happier! Operating with sound is SO much nicer/better!!

In case you have not selected a system... I highly recommend the EasyDCC system. 2nd choice would be the NCE system. Both are easy to wire and use!
Thanks,
Barry

A DCC Question 7 years 1 month ago #5833

• Robin
  • Conductor
Barry, thanks for your response! I did mention that the original 4x8 was built with old style Walthers/Shinohara turnouts thrown with Caboose contact-equipped ground throws. When one of these went bad, I replaced it with a DCC friendly Walthers turnout and a conventional ground throw. I built the new section with two new Walthers curved turnouts and an Atlas 24" radius Snap Switch. The turnouts in the staging yard are both Peco Electrofrogs. I bought (or received as Christmas gifts) 6 replacement turnouts for the remaining old style Walthers switches several years ago, but I've been too lazy to replace them-- until now!

I bought an NCE Power Cab system and additional throttle on Friday, so I'm taking the DCC plunge! I'm a little concerned about sound equipped engines stalling on the long dead frogs of the 3 curved turnouts (the other Walthers switches are #4 or wye turnouts with much shorter frogs). I could reuse the Caboose throws with contacts, but they're even bigger than the conventional ground throws and aren't as nifty as frog juicers.

PS: Tom's recommended website was very helpful.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Robin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomjacobs, rdg-barry
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 6, 1945
#2100, the first T-1 4-8-4 steam locomotive, is outshopped at Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements