FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: F7 vs F3

F7 vs F3 10 years 3 months ago #2573

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
I know this has been covered way back, but I can't find the threads, and I am kind of in a time crunch.

I want to get at least one A/B set of F3s, but I am not sure what phase the RDG's are because the F3s have the low profile fans, and i cant remember how many fans exaclty are on top. N scale doesnt have many options for the low profile fans that also have the horizontal grilles on the side, and I'm wondering if the F7s are relatively identical. Thanks for the help, sorry if this has been covered in the past!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

F7 vs F3 10 years 3 months ago #2574

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
The F3 and F7 both have four radiator fans set at about the middle of the car body (speaking front to back and side to side). The big spotting feature (if so equipped) is the dynamic brake fan. F3 dynamic brake fans were receased into the car body with a pair of screened vents visable on the roof. F7 and later model dynamic brake fans were set forward of the radiator fans with just one fan of various diameter being used that protruded from the roofline. I am sure that a F unit purist will be able to identify more spotting features. When in doubt about unit designation, my tried and true method is to get into the cab and check the FRA blue card!
Fishnmack

F7 vs F3 10 years 3 months ago #2575

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
The RDG had Phase IV F3s. These were pretty much the change over body style to the F7. Spotting feature was the dynamic brake vents or slots on the roof. The F7s were phase 1 late. They had a 36 inch dynamic brake fan. Both unit styles had the horizontal grille openings on the sides. F7s also had the rounded door window corners. The dynamic brake feature was the easiest way to determine what model you were looking at unless you new the number series.

F7 vs F3 10 years 3 months ago #2580

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
So what I would probably want to do is get an F7 set and put a fan and screen in front of the other 4 fans? I'm sure the detail parts are available and I have no problem chopping up a Kato unit. I have not seen any good pictures of the roofs of either of these units, only sides, which only goes so far...

F7 vs F3 10 years 3 months ago #2581

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
That would be the easy way to get an F3 in N scale. I thought they made one in N? But I guess not. You really have to search for good pics of F3 roof shots. There is a pic in the Withers book on page 126. If you have the Diesel encyclopedia, on page 92 there is a nice over head shot of a Valley F3. If you need a good pic with dimensions, let me know and I'll post a shot of my Highliner roof hatch and give you those specs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turboboost910

F7 vs F3 10 years 2 months ago #2593

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
I have neither of those books. I cant find a shot to save my life. I would appreciate it :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements