FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Items of Interest

Items of Interest 8 years 10 months ago #4566

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Mark...like I said,draw your own conclusions.

In Kato's defence...these are advertised as custom painted units,painted by an individual person,not a machine controlled by computer.That being said, if the units were masked by hand it shows how important it is to mask a unit correctly.This also could have been a rush job to get a picture posted.If anyone would be interested I suggest you contact Kato for more info and maybe suggest some corrections...there are quite a few.

In regards to the 20 year old tooling,IMHO its still the best 35 on the market.Yes,it doesn't come with all the detail parts but adding the after market parts is an enjoyable part of creating a good looking model.

Maybe Kato has something in the works to upgrade their 35's tooling and advertising custom painted units might be away to sale exsisting stock.

I'd be happy if they would replace their molded on roof fans with individual units,thin down their handrails a bit and add a positional drop step.

Scalecoat paint has been purchased by Minuteman Scale Models. According to their web site they are located in Pepperell Ma.
They stated they were adding additional colors.I e-mailed them requesting them if they would consider bring back RDG yellow to the Scalecoat line.If anyone is interested send them a request...maybe they'll bring it back.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Items of Interest 8 years 10 months ago #4568

• 2771-chris
Scalecoat up date

Shawn Cavaretta of MinuteMan Scale Models contacted me earlier today.He stated,"As for new colors there will be a good amount coming soon.RDG yellow is on the list".

I find this to be great news and looking forward to having RDG yellow back on the SCII line.

Items of Interest 8 years 10 months ago #4576

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Just a heads up for anyone in the Allentown area, the Lehigh Valley heritage unit is heading your way. It just passed through Reading at 10:35 am this morning on point of an oil train. I had my wife snap a picture as it passed by the route 61 overpass. Will post the photo as soon as I figure out how to get it off her phone.
Thanks, Mark
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by MarkFJ.

Items of Interest 8 years 8 months ago #4742

• 2771-chris
Back in June I ordered SCII paint from Weaver's when it was announced they were closing at the end of that month.My order was picked up by MMSM and it finally arrived about a week ago.I contacted them about SCII RDG yellow and was informed they are working on it now.Look for it in the near future.

Also,picked up my copy of RDG Facilities Vol.II this morning. I paged through it quickly and I have to say,"its a winner".Great photos a definite must have for anyone's RDG library.

Items of Interest 8 years 8 months ago #4749

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
That's good news about SC ll, Chris. I did a bit of stocking up before Weaver shut their doors, but I certainly don't use as much paint as you do.

I too picked up the Morning Sun facilities book, and it is nice. I had almost forgotten about the bright pinkish red trim scheme the RDG used on many of its suburban stations in the late 60s. I remember noticing it on a early adolescent shopping trip from Lansdale to the Terminal and trying to describe the color to my father at dinner that evening. I don't know that it was ever used on buildings on freight only lines.

Items of Interest 8 years 8 months ago #4756

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
I too received my copy of Reading Facilities, 2. I did note some factual errors, for instance the reference to Bethlehem Steel in Coatesville. During the Reading's time, it was ALWAYS Lukens Steel. Reading was long gone for the rail business when Beth Steel took over.
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 13, 1937
The Reading places the 5-car "Crusader" streamlined passenger trainset into Philadelphia-New York service. This train increases traffic on this line by 37% in 1938.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements