FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Items of Interest

Items of Interest 9 years 10 months ago #3215

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
On page B3 of the Wednesday 6-25 issue of the Reading Eagle was an article about Norfolk Southern’s “Keystone Whistle Stop Safety Train”, which stopped at Reading on Tuesday. The train was parked at Sixth and Spring Street on its trip to Harrisburg. Did anyone get a chance to see this train either at Reading on somewhere on along its route?

NS Operation Lifesaver

Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Items of Interest 9 years 10 months ago #3216

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
Mark; the train started in Phila. stopped near Abrams yard to talk to lawmakers etc. about rail safety. after the double fatal accident at the old Port Kennedy station. by the way a freight train hit a teenager at Phoenixville on Tues. it seems peoples minds are going numb when they are around railroad tracks. Butch Curll
Butch Curll

Items of Interest 9 years 10 months ago #3217

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
Thanks for the reply Butch.

Another noteworthy comment on rail safety is that the American Society of Civil Engineers released a report Wednesday on Pennsylvania’s infrastructure. While most of the commonwealth’s infrastructure (e.g. roads, bridges, etc.) received a grade of “C” or lower, freight rail scored a solid “B”. I know from what I’ve read that the Reading kept its right-of-way in top condition and it seems that tradition has continued with NS.

Items of Interest 9 years 10 months ago #3231

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
Farewell Titus tracks. I just noticed this week that crews are in the process of removing the tracks inside the gates of the Titus power plant. I’m not sure if NS is also removing the tracks parallel to the Belt Line, but it is sad to see them go. :(

This was the view from the Thun Trail last fall.

Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by MarkFJ.

Items of Interest 9 years 10 months ago #3232

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
From what I could see, glancing over from the bypass, it looks like it is pretty much gone by 01 JULY. All I saw was a couple of stray ties laying around.

Items of Interest 9 years 10 months ago #3240

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
Here is a link to Freight Car Journal issue #10 which has a brief article and drawings for Reading Co. eight-wheel cabooses (page 11-14).

FCJ issue #10

Other free issues of FCJ can be found here:

Freight Car Journal

Contents of FCJ

Missing from the list of free downloads are issues #17 (XAPa Auto Parts Boxcars) and #34 (LOc Covered hopper car). Does anyone have these issues?

Thanks, Mark
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements