FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: RDG SW1500 2763

RDG SW1500 2763 11 years 1 month ago #960

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
I forgot to mention that the unit has yet to be sprayed down with dull coat so don't let all the showing decal film take away from the final look.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RDG SW1500 2763 11 years 1 month ago #975

• 2771-chris
The shine is gone.Two pics of the unit after the first dull coat application.

Now on to some light weathering next.

RDG SW1500 2763 11 years 1 month ago #979

• 2771-chris
Added some light weathering using my pencil and marker technique as discribed in the 424 build.More will be applied later.My goal is to keep it light.

A good veiw of the drip strips,roof number and ainclair.

I dry brushed the grills with Polyscale oily black.

Next,adding and painting the pilot detail.

RDG SW1500 2763 11 years 1 month ago #994

• 2771-chris
Added the pilot details.My intention was to mount the older style coupler lift bars,but both were warped and didn't look good at all.If you want to use the older style you will need to drill two additional holes into the pilot.These are a little shorter compared to the more modern lift bars and no mounting hole is provided for the end mounting pins on the casting.I also glued the drop steps in the down position at this time.

Next,I added the weights to the unit.You will need to drill two holes through the sub-floor.The screws that hold the cab interior in place screw into the top of each weight.After I drilled I secured the weights using Walthers Goo.I then glued the bolster extensions in place.There're the gray some what square pieces.I then added the air tanks and piping.

I then secured the cab interior to the sub-floor using the two screws provided.

RDG SW1500 2763 11 years 1 month ago #996

• 2771-chris
A view of where the mounting hole on the cab should be located.The upper hole is how the model is presented,the lower hole is the correct location as compared to photos.You will find that the handrails will stay seated.I did this on my other units,big difference.

Moving on,I prime painted all the yellow areas with Polyscale RDG yellow.When dried I redid the yellow areas with Floquil's reefer yellow.The connections were painted black and the ends silver,both Floquil paints.Notice where the lines connect to the bracket that the bracket is painted black and yellow to match the stripe arrangement.After the paints dried I added the front and rear hand rails.When I removed the front railings from the casting tree it broke into three pieces,I was able to glue it together.I painted them reefer yellow and sprayed the ends down with dull coat after the paint dried.I then added some weathering to the pilots and front grill using powders.Again,srayed with dull coat.

I also painted the underside detail weathered black.

I added a crew using Kato figures and secured them with Walther's Goo.I test fitted the cab to make sure there was enough clearance.

I added some weathering powder around the exhaust stacks and added more marker to the door latches to give more shadow.

Left and right views.

RDG SW1500 2763 11 years 1 month ago #997

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Chris:

first I'm going to apologize because this will sound like nitpicking, which really isn't my style. But if you're using the newer, coupler pin lifter, the horizontal bar behind the lift bar and the footboards should be removed.

In 1974, the FRA ordered that footboards be removed and steps modified so crewmen were more visible to the engineman.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements