FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: Share Your Prototype Photos

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 2 months ago #1449

• rdgraildog
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 2
Chris, What was the branch that came off the Mine Hill branch by the station in Minersville that ran up behind the old Acme now Way-Mart? I remember there was some street running and the rails were paved over around the late sixties. Todd Shoffler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 1 month ago #1473

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Here is caboose number 92841 on the local out of Lancster in the fall of 1976.
img204.jpg

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 1 month ago #1474

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
I could model this scene - I have one of those blue L&N boxcars. I do need to blank out some windows on cabooses though...
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 1 month ago #1475

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
Todd...it was called the Wolf Creek branch.As a kid I remember seeing coal trains running down the center of North Street.The intersections were controlled by a flagman...I do not recall any type of rr crossing signs,flashing or static.I'll back up a bit...
The track where the CNJ switcher sits today ended at N Delaware Ave.There was a truck ramp located there and coal hoppers were loaded.I believe the coal was trucked in from the Derenzo breaker located in Llewellyn.Caught a ride once and switched out the loads with mt's at this location.
Back at the station there was a switch and the track paralleled this siding and continued west up the center of North to Third.At N Del. Ave.there was a switch that led off to the south side of North St.(North St. runs east to west)

Back in the day,I guess it served the Lytle breaker company store and warehouse.This was located on the corner of Front&North.The Goodwill Fire Co. occupies this location today.
Crossing Front St. and entering the second block there was a siding on the north side that served the Borouch's feed warehouse.I recall seeing a box car placed here.Across the street and a little west was another siding.Don't recall what it served.
Crossing 2nd St.and entering the third block I believe it was straight running to Third St.with no sidings.
At Third St.it got interesting.The Ball lumber company occupied both sides of North St. between 3rd&4th where today the high rise sits on the south side and the low income housing sits on the north side.At 3rd a switch led off to the south and into the companies open yard.The branch continued north to the right past the Rescue Fire Co. just past the fire house there was another switch that led left into the companies roofed warehouse.The warehouse was gated.
At this point the branch continued crossing Carbon St. and then 4th.It paralleled 4th up past Quandel's Concrete.There was another truck dump located past the concrete plant.
Now,that's all I recall.Don't know if it connected with the PA's Minersville branch at Schaffers Hill or not.
As kids we watched the tracks being removed.I'm guessing it was the late sixties.I could still smell the kerosene warning lanterns they would light to mark the construction areas.If anyone has any pictures of the RDG running on North St please share.

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 1 month ago #1477

• NJWG
  • Apprentice
I dont visit this site as much as I should because I allways enjoy it, These prototype photos are great.I know it would take alot of work but they should be cataloged and put in the photo section. Quite awhile ago i sent some pictures which were scanned by Tom and put in the prototype photo section before the website was redone, They were origional photos and I would be happy to send them again to be submitted unless they are still available digitally from the old site.I had about eight photos and some were old steam. Let me know.
Thanks. MARK

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 1 month ago #1478

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
Here's the Grace Mine run returning to Reading, crossing Neversink Road, in Exeter Twp.
img330.jpg

A Bob Gottschall photo from my collection.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1964
The Reading's new green and gold colors are used on 100 new boxcars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements