FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: Share Your Prototype Photos

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 1 day ago #1606

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Mark - That is a horn of of an RS-3 (Nathan M3)I believe. The last updated information I can find is 9-months old, but at that point the mechanical work was still in progress. RCTHS has a lot of projects for a small group of volunteers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 22 hours ago #1607

The M3 was also the horn all AS16's were equipped with on the Rdg. After the demise of the AS16's, I would venture the M3's decent shape got recycled... they appear on numerous GP7's after the 60's-the GP7's came with Leslie S3LR's, which were also the horn on the GP35's and SD45's as delivered. I would say when the GP35 got shopped and repainted (the only one in solid green) the horn was replaced also. The PRSL did this also. As AS16's were retired, the M3's wound up replacing the single-note honkers on a lot of their S12's...

Share Your Prototype Photos 11 years 22 hours ago #1609

Speaking of Rdg AS16's and M3 horns..taken 2 blocks from my house in Jersey...
here's the PRSL 6025 in May 75 on the ex-Rdg main to Atlantic City (PRSL Clementon Br.). Note the tilted forward-facing chime. These were bought by the PRSL in 1956 as part of an order the Rdg cancelled after they had been built in 1953. Note they came with cab drip strips and Rdg-style projecting number boards! 6022 and 6023 had no boiler, but 6024-6027 had boilers and for psgr service and were re-geared for 80 mph service. The 6024 and 6025 were 2 of the last 3 PRSL AS16's and were retired shortly after Conrail.
Last Edit: 11 years 21 hours ago by Mitch from Maine.

Share Your Prototype Photos 10 years 11 months ago #1683

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Here's an oldie i scooped up on ebay years ago. Good pic if anyone is modeling the P&R
Attachments:

Share Your Prototype Photos 10 years 11 months ago #1684

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
That is a good old shot - Thanks. I cannot pull up any identifiers such as a road number, can you see any numbers on the original? Not only as a P&R modeler, this could also have hung around yards for a long time. Just because the RR needed bigger cranes, doesn't mean the old ones weren't still useable. Also in scrap yards on your layout. I recall in particular the scrap yard along the old Fairgrounds Branch in Reading, which cut off around Union St, crossing Kutztown Road and meandering up along Rockland Rd to about 11th Street (still does in fact) The scrap yard was where the Wawa is at 11th & Rockland and they had several various sized RR cranes operating there up until they shut it down around the 80's.

Share Your Prototype Photos 10 years 11 months ago #1685

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
And speaking of not getting rid of things, or not changing anything, in true Berks County Dutchman fashion (which also lends to the fact that crane could be floating around for a long time) The class lettering on that Gon is the same style format as one lettered in 1965. Don't change what isn't broke and don't get rid of it either.
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October 8, 1958
The diesel facilities and shop at Newberry Junction are destroyed by fire, and are rebuilt the following year.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements