FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: What did YOU do this week?

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 5 months ago #4055

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Very seldom do I ever have a break from overseeing the shop, but an outage at a cement plant offered me the opportunity to deliver parts to a client. It seems every so often we find a place where time stood still, this is the locomotive shops of the old Glen Alden Coal Co. in West Pittston PA. Upon delivery I was able to take a few pictures in the facility which overhauls industrial kilns, and drives (just like the one in the Walthers cement plant). There are still some of the overhead pulley and belt drives, not in use of course, but it is 2015!!! Some ancient machinist equipment, which Steamtown has usage privelages, kind of cool. The old 20 ton overhead crane, and a pot to melt Babbit for bearings. There is even a 400 ton horizontal press which uses air and water for force! Enjoy the pictures there are some great modeling ideas to be had.

Bill
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob, HHS

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 5 months ago #4056

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
Some more pics of the shop.
Attachments:

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 5 months ago #4057

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
Here is that press, and some of the outbuildings.

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 5 months ago #4058

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
I don't think I shared this much on this forum, but I got a lot of motivation this week to get back into high gear and press on with my hollow-core door layout. Here is what it looked like yesterday. I finished all the trackwork tonight with the exception of the colliery yard, because I am not sure how I want to build that area up yet. I want to first build a breaker and surrounding buildings before planning any trackwork.
Attachments:

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 5 months ago #4071

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Nice pics 401.
Commendable Progress turbo. Nice basic double Loop. N is great for
Those. I advocate doing another tunnel on the right side
for your colliery to be tucked into.

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 5 months ago #4075

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
The corner opposite the coal mountain will be open, as it is. It's the only place I'll be able to place some trees, and there just isn't much room even in N to have open land, when 1/4 of the layout is committed to coal operations. Instead I'll just have a nice short easy 2% grade leading over a bridge with some fly fishermen enjoying their favorite hole!
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 13, 1937
The Reading places the 5-car "Crusader" streamlined passenger trainset into Philadelphia-New York service. This train increases traffic on this line by 37% in 1938.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements