FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: What did YOU do this week?

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 2 months ago #4437

• dave1905
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
MarkF and MrBill. I am also modeling the W&N, basically the whole thing or at least Wilmington to Birdsboro, maybe Reading, in 1900-1905.

Google books has the annual reports of The W&N for the last decade as an independent road (up to 1895) in digitized form. Very interesting and detailed reading.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 2 months ago #4438

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
The Wilmington & Northern seems to have a unique appeal. Maybe that’s because there isn’t too much reference material around today that explains the line in detail. There are a few shots of rambles on the line and of course the Joanne turn has been well documented in photos here and in other sources. There is a great high angle photo in James Holton’s book “The Reading Railroad: Vol.2” on page 128 that shows the W&N passing through Birdsboro taken probably around the early 1900s. It’s interesting that some of the tracks (and structures) in that photo still exist today.

This photo (that I grabbed off eBay) shows some of the complicated track work near Brooke Tower looking south along the W&N. I’m really not sure why this area had so much track given that there doesn’t seem to be too many rail serviced industry in the area (then or now).

10b-JunctionGF.jpg

Ben Bernhart currently has some slides listed on eBay that show a Penn Central train near the W&N junction at Birdsboro. Those images are rare as I'm sure the PC didn't run too many trains along the old PRR line there.

Mark

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 2 months ago #4439

• lvrr325
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 1
Maybe a year ago I bought a Kato Reading GP35 shell for five bucks at a show.

I finally made it into a complete engine, I found a similar vintage Kato GP35 NIB at a show for $50. Then I sold the extra shell and handrail set on eBay for $20.

Now, anyone know if I can just decal over the not quite correct numbers, or would they have to be removed to put correct looking ones on?

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 2 months ago #4440

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Nice pic! I wonder if they moved the Pennsy freight house yet. Mark, I plan to model both the Montchanin and Granogue station scenes in either the late 40's or around 1956.

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 2 months ago #4443

Mark-that's taken from the Pennsy, with the W&N crossing I'd guees a 50's or early 60's photo. There was a huge steel mill (Colorado Fuel & Iron)there that provided a lot of traffic to both lines, long gone now. Also there was a separate entity, Birdsboro Steel Foundry that amongst other things provided steel castings for the Rdg. Also long gone...

What did YOU do this week? 9 years 1 month ago #4445

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Found a good shot of the birdsboro W&N station that would be off to the right around the corner in Marks pic.
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements