FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: What did YOU do this week?

What did YOU do this week? 10 years 5 months ago #2688

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
The primary module you see is Temple on the Hill track of the East Penn Branch. There are other views floating around on this site. In one of the pics you can see tracks behind the hoppers, they are part of another module which is a portion of the track coming out of Reading and approaching Kutztown Road. These modules are not built to spec with say the RCTH&S modules, these are just sections of a layout I had at a place I no longer live. They have been in storage for ten years and have just been brought to my new home. A layout is in the planning stages. It will continue to feature the Hill track, but operations may tend to ignore the Low Grade, which got all the good trains.

The Duck is lost, no water in site save Laurel Run creek which wouldn't float a boat after a downpour. (Although my older brother sank my Texaco Tanker with his homemade cannon in said creek)
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Rob.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What did YOU do this week? 10 years 4 months ago #2689

• rdg-barry
  • Thank you received: 44
Interesting line-up of hoppers in my area... did they mis-spell the name? (missing the "T") I've been told they are assisting in the revamp of the Amtrak line between Detroit to Chicago, to increase speed to 110.

herzog.jpg
Thanks,
Barry

What did YOU do this week? 10 years 4 months ago #2693

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
The Germans are into the industrial hauling pretty big. I've seen lots of the herzog cars as well as bright yellow Brandenburg gons, which there were a lot of up in Bethlehem when they scrapped the mill.
Rob, do you remember the siding off the hill track up behind hiesters lanes? We went back there in the 70s and I distinctly recall a spur on the east side, I think it was a coal drop. The turnout was probably gone. There was a big factory there way back. Might you have any track charts of the hill track?

What did YOU do this week? 10 years 4 months ago #2694

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
After spending two days on my Kubota removing the 18 inches of snow I was able to accomplish applying the green,yellow and black paint to my next GP30 project.

What did YOU do this week? 10 years 4 months ago #2695

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
Barry,

Herzog is a maintenance of way services company. There is almost always a string of Herzog ballast cars parked in the yard at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia.

I would still pronounce "Herzog" as if it were spelled "Hertzog." Maybe because I'm from Berks County.

Peter

What did YOU do this week? 10 years 4 months ago #2697

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Barry, Many Herzog cars are frequent visitors to the Trap Rock Quarry along 724, west of Birdsboro. Both the Pennsy and Reading paralleled 724. The PRR is now a rail trail and the Reading's infamous "Turkey path" sees the ballast trains coming out of the Haines and Kibbelhouse "Dyers/Trap Rock" Quarry. H&K have private cars also, I can't offhand recall the reporting marks, HKMX maybe??

Mr Bill.. I do have a variety of track charts and I have walked the hill track taking pictures of many minor "modelable" details, mostly during the 80's. Yes, there is (was) a coal delivery track of to the "east" side of the tracks. I think I have a photo of it too. That is there along with a "machine shop" on my original layout along with the siding ending just before Kutztown Road. That may be the larger business operation in that section. Prior to Heister Lane was Reading Pipe Foundry just off the East Penn between Heister and Exeter on the west side of Kutztown Road, however that was just ruins by the time I was a kid. I grew up on Mt. Laurel Road and spent a lot of time around Elizabeth Ave, Temple Station and the Co-op (Manure Siding) on 5th St. Hiway, all of which will have new homes on my layout.
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 1, 1948
The "Wall Street" begins service between Philadelphia and Jersey City, hauled by new G-3 Pacific locomotives and featuring new two-toned green cars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements