FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: What did YOU do this week?

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 3 months ago #5696

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Niiiiice! When will the sweet corn be ready to pick?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 3 months ago #5700

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Thanks! The corn is as high as an elephant's eye: it should be ready any day.

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 3 months ago #5714

• john7968
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 5
Mark

D you have any photos o the station, it was always a favorite of mine

John

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 3 months ago #5726

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Working on 2
More "Reading" bumpers to finish off the sidings on Brewer Yard with. They use Atlas bumpers for cores.

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 2 months ago #5738

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Rebuilding the layout's shop area after viewing photos of, this site's, "Perfect Scale" modeler, John Hall's work area. John's design has a standing height bench area with an open storage shelf area beneath it mounted atop commercial base cabinets (Capital idea John!). A workbench at sitting height fills the remaining wall space.

After an exhaustive search for all drawer, base cabinets, either expensive custom made or do-it-yourself cabinets were the answers. A fellow Tuesday Night Conspirator's work bench solved the problem. He built his from 1/4" Masonite and plywood, which did not cabinet maker's skills. The drawers were built on a Masonite base with the base extending beyond the outside face of the drawer sides. Drawer fronts are plywood cut 2" wider than the Masonite base and the sides and backs from 1" pine boards. 1" plywood was cut for the side walls of the cabinet. These sides had 5/16" slots cut horizontally to receive the drawer's Masonite base. The bottom, back and tops of the cabinets are 3/4" plywood, so there are no cross members between the drawer. Voile! As I can turn any woodworking project into endless piles of useless splinters and sawdust, this is a simple and inexpensive alternative to custom cabinets. Each side of the workbench's chair well will have one of these all drawer base cabinets. PS This project will consume the next two week's "What did you do this week".
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by HoboPiker.

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5786

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Hey gang!
Been a while since I've done anything because of college, but I guess education is more important ha ha. For the past few months I've been working on making a possible conversion kit for Bachmann's northeastern style caboose to make the NMn class wood side caboose. I still have to work on something with the cupola, but what do you think so far? By the way, I did this with solidworks and a 3d printer.

Thanks,
Nick

Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Rdgrail. Reason: Forgot files
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1962
Loss of mail and Railway Express Agency contracts prompts severe cuts in passenger service, including annulment of all service to Shamokin, and the Allentown-Harrisburg trains, and a reduction on remaining routes. RDCs replace most locomotive-hauled trains, freeing former passenger locomotives for freight service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements