FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: What did YOU do this week?

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5793

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Just curious,
Would this be applied to the existing body of the caboose, would the molded details be sanded smooth, or would the existing side/end structure be cut away and only the roofs be used.

@Barry H.-> Sounds like a clinic topic,..... just sayin......

For some time now, I have been considering such a conversion to at least one of my 30 proto Reading cabeese in my stockpile. (The next logical question is why on earth would I have 30 Reaading Proto cabooses and no layout to speak of. LOL - Other than to keep Caples in business with his modernization kits. Hey John - I only need 23 more now)

Rob
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5794

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Pages 93 (diagram specifies diamond tread platform) through 95 (the table lists differences between wood and steel construction). A picture on page 95 clearly shows a wooden roofwalk.

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5795

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Rob wrote:

For some time now, I have been considering such a conversion to at least one of my 30 proto Reading cabeese in my stockpile. (The next logical question is why on earth would I have 30 Reaading Proto cabooses and no layout to speak of. LOL - Other than to keep Caples in business with his modernization kits. Hey John - I only need 23 more now)

Rob

That's a lot of cabeese, Rob!!! I wish I had squirreled away a few more. I guess I long ago resigned myself to building small branchline railroads requiring only a few locomotives and cabins.

Have you ever come across the BCW laser cut coversion kit I referenced earlier? I think it was marketed under their Kitbits label. It utilized the Proto 2000 core and under frame. The modeler applied the wooden sides, roof and cupola to the Proto "interior box" and discarded the shell. The instructions even suggest that the builder carefully remove the grabs from the original model and install them on the wooden sides and roof. I have a kit and a Proto caboose in MEC colors stowed away somewhere. I've only seen one completed model in the flesh -- at the legendary Model Railroad Shop in Piscataway, NJ. It looked great, but the wooden kit roof looked like it was flattening out a bit. The wooden roof may have needed more support.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Robin.

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5796

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Hey Rob,
So, the way I'm doing it is to sand down the existing details, then glue the pieces on. I figured that I think most people will want to use tichy train grab irons anyways for extra detail, so that's why I didn't make molded details for grab irons. Now, so far I have only modeled the sides based off the Bachmann caboose measurements, so I'll have to see just how different the measurements are for the proto caboose. If it's different then I would probably work on that conversion too. Thank you Robin, for the page number. That really helps. I'll have to work on it when I get home later. Oh, Rob, I don't even have that many hacks haha I have probably...... around 10-15 hacks haha

-Nick

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5797

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I have done 2 Proto cabooses with the BCW wood kits, one Reading and one L&HR.as of 2 years ago John Greene sold the remaining kits he had to someone in N.J.(I forgot the persons name) and i don't know if there are any left.
Butch Curll

What did YOU do this week? 7 years 1 month ago #5798

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
As we continue to discuss the topic, Butch mentioned the laser cut wood kits. They went to Shortline Products, and they are alive and well in production. There is a web site, and are listed under the kits section, product no. SP-25 for the Reading. Here are a few pics of mine in "slow" progress, and this was a donated prize from Shortline at the first Modelers Meet. If anyone is interested in a core or two for these conversions, I have a couple sets to spare. I purchased a "lot" of projects that someone started as LV conversions.

Bill
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements