FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG?

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 1 month ago #4326

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
The only problem I see with this announcement is that it is competing against so many other new or recently released models that it’s going to get lost in the shuffle so-to-speak. Even Rapido’s own products are competing against it like the Canadian and American F40PHs, and the FL9s. All are outstanding models in their own rights.

I think the big question with these models is how low they will get discounted to promote sales?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 1 month ago #4329

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Caboose Hobbies in Denver is taking reservations at $273.33. Considering the RDC models do not have as broad a market as an SD40-2 or consolidation, hopefully there will be enough reservations to support the production of the Reading models. If nothing else, painted, unlettered models and Champ RDG RDC decal sets.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 1 month ago #4332

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
I thought long and hard about ordering a pair, in order to simulate passenger traffic on the main line section of my under-construction layout. Ultimately, I decided against it - the main line section basically runs between OLEY and BELT, with Philly and Newberry staging on either end - very small segment of the overall layout, and in the final analysis too steep a price to pay for limited operational value. Now, if someone can point me toward a pair of Proto 1000 units, I'll be there with cash in hand...

Tom
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 1 month ago #4333

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Ha! Good luck finding “one” P2K RDC in Reading, let alone two. Your best bet is to just grab any available P2K and go the Alclad and decal route. Looks like you’ll have to do that anyways because of the sand hatch details included on the P2K shell. Too bad that Shapeways RDC project proposed a while ago got shelved. That would have been a nice, cheap alternative to get an authentic looking Reading RDC.

What we Reading fans “really” need is for someone (Hornby?) to tool up a U30C with the early phase 1 carbody. Athearn will likely never do it, and it’s not an Alco so that cuts Bowser out.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 10 months ago #4522

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Another spotting feature of the RDG RDCs is the larger end windows. I may have missed it, but I didn't see this listed in previous posts. I contacted Rapido yesterday, and this will not be replicated on the model because it would require separate tooling. I don't know if this will affect anyone's decision to purchase or not purchase the model.--Dave

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 7 months ago #4790

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Has anyone seen a recommended minimum radius on the Rapido RDC? I know it would be anachronistic to operate an RDC on my Merkiomen 2 ( www.readingmodeler.com/index.php/photos/...-reading-branch-line), but I know that my BCW coaches won't make it around my sharp curves. I rode the Reading's RDCs many times in my youth, including a cab ride through Perkasie tunnel and taking my future wife on her first train ride (in the snow from Perkasie to Bethlehem). Despite the price, it would be cool to have one, especially if I could operate it on my layout.
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Robin.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements