FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG?

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 6 months ago #4791

my P2K RDC takes an 18 or 22" curve, but looks like a scale Hudson on an O27 curve... 24" or better looks nicer, for sure...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 6 months ago #4792

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Yeah, it will look as silly as my T1 does on the layout. I should probably stick to freight operations. Thanks, Mitch!

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 6 months ago #4795

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Robin, if you really want an RDC on your layout I may have a solution. Years ago I bought an unpowered Athearn New Haven RDC with the intention of stripping the lettering and decaling for RDG. I have the Champ decals still, and we all know they're good for a hundred years. NWSL makes a Stanton Drive that fits the wheel size and wheel base; attaching the sideframes may require some ingenuity. Also, it may be possible to order Proto sideframes that would attach more easily. (I may even have an NWSL PDT drive that's an exact match for the trucks I'll have to look around for that; we had some construction around here a couple years ago that dismantled my train room and workshop; I've never quite recovered!) Needless to say I never got to the project and now have a Rapido unit on order. The Athearn units are shorter than the prototype, made for their 18"R SnapTrack I believe, and should look better on tight radii. With a little work you might have an RDC for your layout. Let me know if you're interested.--Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 6 months ago #4796

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Back in the mid 80s, I took an Athearn RDC and attempted to “correct” the length issue by splicing together the frames and shells of two into one. It actually worked and with the famous rubber band drive, was a lightning fast model. It took 18” curve well, but obviously not at high speeds.

Dave’s comments about Athearn designing the “shortie” RDC to run well on 18” snap track makes sense. It seems that back in the day manufacturers took a lot of creative license with their designs. (I still can’t get over the fact that some of Athearn’s 50’ cars were made shorter just so they would fit in the box!)

Regarding Rapido’s RDC: I’m taking a wait-and-see stance on this model. If they do not tool the ends with the appropriate larger sized windows, but do include the sand fill covers on the side (as mentioned above), it will be a somewhat disappointing model for the price. That, and I’ve notices Toy Train Heaven repeatedly has Rapido locomotives on sale. They’re not giving them away, but I suspect there will be plenty of RDCs on the shelves at reduced prices for a long time to come.

Thanks, Mark

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 6 months ago #4797

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Hey, Mark, manufacturers weren't the only ones using creative license. I think I recall Allen McClelland shortening the 89' auto racks so they'd look better negotiating the curves on his layout...I hadn't heard about Athearn designing models to fit the box. That's an interesting way to contain overhead!--Dave

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 8 years 6 months ago #4798

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Thanks so much for your kind offer, Dave. I think I still have a set of Athearn RDCs stowed away in boxes. My dad bought the RDC-1, RDC-3 set in B&O colors shortly after the Reading bought theirs. I think the set came with a circle of Snap Track, and I believe that the RDCs circled our Christmas tree in 1963 or 4. Several years later I removed the B&O lettering with Solvaset and applied Walthers' Lehigh Valley RDC decals (they didn't make a Reading set).

I think I too will wait and see with the Rapido model. Reading RDCs were so much a part of my youth that it would be nice to have one.
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Robin.
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

January 1, 1955
The Reading begins Trailer-on-Flatcar (TOFC) service between Philadelphia and Chicago in cooperation with the WM, P&WV, and NKP (the "Alphabet Route").

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements