FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG?

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 3 months ago #4068

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
$325 for a single RDC? Nope, I don't need passenger service THAT badly. I'll stick to a couple P2K units if I can find them. Heck, I don't even have the Outer Station or Franklin Street built into my track plan, so I really have no need for them anyway. I suppose I'll stick to freight only...
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 3 months ago #4069

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
tomjacobs wrote:
Heck, I don't even have the Outer Station or Franklin Street built into my track plan, so I really have no need for them anyway. I suppose I'll stick to freight only...

Well there are two options with this...either 1) build OS or FS, or 2) park the RDC's in staging and pretend it's one of the two!

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 3 months ago #4084

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Just seen Rapido's latest news release.They will offering their RDC's in RDG Co. paint.Phase 2 I believe with 4 available numbers and un-numbered. DC 225.00 All the bells and whistles 325.00

I don't see any of these in my future.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 3 months ago #4085

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Just checked the webpage and saw they are offering several road numbers, which is surprising. Either they’re going to produce that many or just base it on the number of preorders. I don’t see one of these models in my future either, well, not at those prices. Maybe I’ll buy a DC version if they end up getting heavily discounted. Base on the reaction here, those Reading units might be sitting around for a while. I can wait! :whistle:

Mark

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 1 month ago #4296

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Have contacted Rapido about their RDC decoder with sound and also if there be a model without sand fill hatches. As to the decoder, they will offer it as a separate item. Soundtraxx makes an RDC sound decoder but it falls short of the sound I recall when they pulled away from Franklin St. and the Outer Station platforms. The sand fill hatch issue was sent to them a few minutes ago. Noted that all of their artwork, including the Reading Co. have fill hatches, while the prototype for that phase on the Reading did not. Check the Reading Modeler's RDC photos for the sand hatches. Life-Like Proto1000 cars had the hatches, and while not to nasty a chore removing them, painting has not occurred yet. With the thought of repainting all of the Proto1000 cars for a uniform appearance, testing ALCLAD II over gloss black and gloss med. gray on two streamlined car shells yielded less than desirable results.

I have reserved two of the Reading Co. models and hope this model will get enough reservations to be produced. If not, hope to buy enough decoders to rework the Proto cars. Has anyone done likewise and gotten a good match for the stock Proto1000 paint? Or a repaint to match the prototypes' appearance. B&O enchantment blue looks good to me for the underbody details and trucks.
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by HoboPiker. Reason: omissions

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 1 month ago #4324

I would love to do a Reading Crusader and Wall street in its later days, but the price is scary.

The DC cars cost almost as much as the sound equipped Metroliners! While I do have a fleet of those, I also saved up several years in advanced for them, and I mode the NEC so it makes sense.

I MIGHT go for a few of the coaches, since this style RDC can't really be had any other way, but it will hurt.

Fortunately, You don't need huge fleets of RDCs like you do Metroliners, Silverliners, or Blue liners. Two will cover it!
Christian Brown

Electric Modeler
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements