FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG?

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 2 months ago #4060

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Hello Group,
Now that Rapido has announced production of the “ultimate” RDC at the Amherst show, who here will buy one if they produce a Reading version? No road names have been announced yet, but It seems likely that at least a correct version for the Reading (if not a factory decorated unit) will be produced. I know many already have the P2K version, so it will be interesting to see just how many plunk down the $325 (ouch!) for a DCC/sound RDC.
Let’s face it; the RDC is a signature piece of equipment for modeling the Reading. But how do you all feel about that price point? I do not currently own any Rapido products, but have heard many claims that they are near museum quality models and worth the money. However, there are so many products in the market vying for my hobby dollars right now that I don’t know if I can justify the cost for this RDC. On the horizon is Bowser’s RS-3, and I’m assuming Athearn will release a Genesis GP40-2 decorated for Reading (they already did the phase 1 as an ex-RDG for NS). Good times ahead for Reading modelers!
Thanks, Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 2 months ago #4061

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
If they offered one in N i might consider getting a set for my layout and bumping my era into the early 60s...

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 2 months ago #4062

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Mark,
Were there two RDC versions on the RDG?
I have not seen the Rapido information.
I would consider one of these

Thanks for letting ud know, Chris
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 2 months ago #4064

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
Hello Group,
Yes, there were two versions of the RDC on the Reading as far as the front end sheetmetal is concern. Check the photos Tom has posted on this site to see the difference. The P2K model has the headlights mounted internally (see the photo of #9164) where as the Rapido version will have the headlights mounted on top in an enclosure that is blended into the roof. See the photos to get a better understanding of the differences in the headlights. Also the one version has a distinctive ridge where the curved roof meets the side metal on the ends. Not sure if this was a production change or an option from the factory.

Also I'm not sure if Rapido will do this model in N as they have a lot riding on the HO version (mostly the tooling costs to make all the versions -1,-2, etc.). If these sell well, maybe they’ll do an N version. But RDCs are a lot like cabooses in that modelers typically don’t need (and therefore don’t buy) large quantities of them. I mean, it’s not a coal car, so at most people will by one or two.

I’m on the fence about this model. Sure it would be nice to get one, but also announced at Amherst was Tangent’s X58 boxcar in both PRR and PC paint. Anyone who owns a Tangent model knows they make one of the finest RTR cars on the market. Plus these cars would fit perfectly on a layout modeling the Reading during the 60s to 70s. I could get several of these cars for the cost of one RDC.

Mark
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by MarkFJ.

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 2 months ago #4065

• RDG1519
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
You are right about those Tangent models. I really like the P Company version. If I am not mistaken I have a Rail Yards version in kit form for this. I could be mistaken as I bought it maybe 10 years ago.
Chris
Chris
Great Grandson of John Kiefer Engineman RDG 1894 to 1932
Member RCT&HS, ARHS, West Jersey Chapter NRHS

Who will buy Rapido's RDC if in RDG? 9 years 2 months ago #4066

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
EBay is seeing may Rail Yard Models X58 boxcar kits come to auction (and I’m watching a few), but the days of prices hitting $100 plus per kit are over. Yes, they’re one of the nicest resin kits ever produced and fun to build. However, Tangent’s car is RTR at $45. I doubt now that many RYM kits will ever get built (just like the F&C H30 kits after Bowser did their RTR car).

Who knows, now that Tangent has done this car, maybe we'll see more northeastern boxcars from them.

Mark
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements